Friday, January 3, 2014

Muddled Mind

     A new year brings with it a desire to make changes in our lives.  Lose weight, be a better person, get that dream job, etc.  I think the stats say that only about 7% of people keep their resolutions due to a lack of will or the simple fact that they did not even want to try to make a change. 
     For myself, my life has been about wanting to make changes.  To be that better person or find that job that is meant to be.  My issue has always been distractions and focus.  For as long as I can remember I have been subject to procrastination and the very annoying trait, being overwhelmed by too many choices.  When you have too many things to choose from you often do not pick any of them because it is just that much easier.
    I am the king of lists.  I list lots of things.  Movies to watch, books to read, chores to get my wife to do.  (And my chores as well.)  List are a good tool only if you follow and keep working at them.  If not, then you just end up with a lot of lists.  Then you need a list of your lists that need attention.  Does this sound confusing?  We now you know how I feel about 80% of my day.  I suffer from what I like to call a "muddled mind".  It is the feeling that because there so much coming at me, my brain defends itself by putting up a shield.  That shield feels much like a heavy blanket.  It is warm and comfortable but it also restricts my movements.  It does not allow me to flow from one activity to another.  Instead I just lay there enjoying the warmth and  protection of the "shield".  Over the next few weeks and months I will be addressing this "affliction". 
      As always, never give up on yourself or if you know someone like me please do not give up on them.  Be supportive and understanding and when they ask for help, give it. Thanks and here's to 2014 being the year be all take down our "shields".

No comments:

Post a Comment