Monday, November 6, 2017

A Walk in the Rain

    
Today I want to talk to you about the joy of going for a walk when you are combating depression.  Goodness knows that any of us who are experiencing the "darkness" just want to find a deep hole and jump in it.  Getting lost in the dreariness is a favorite pastime for depressed persons.  How many times have we been told by a family member or friend that we should get up and move?  My first instinct would be to dive deeper into that dank hole and ask to be left alone.  But pushing people away is not the answer.  We all know that hiding in the corner will do us no good.  No depressed person has ever been "cured" by isolating themselves and filling up on self pity.  So I recommend that you do something.  Just something small… go for a 10 minute walk.

     About two years ago I experienced the lowest point I have ever been in.  I was working at a job I hated and could see no way out.  I ended up taking a few months off.  My doctor guided me during this time and she demanded that I do one thing.  Walk!  So I did.  For those few months I got out and walked 3 times a day.  At first it was only 10 minutes at a time and then, before I knew it, I found myself walking for an hour or more each day.  It did me a world of good.  I would smile as I greeted other walkers and I got some of my creativity back. 

      I did back slide some when I had to go back to that job but what I had discovered was something I did not want to lose.  So I made a plan.  I decided that I was going to quit the job and find my way into something that I would enjoy doing.  This part of the process had some hit and misses but I stayed focused on what I wanted.  I put myself first because doing so would benefit not just me but my family and my friends.  I am about to make a huge change in my career.  Something I thought I would never do.  I am scared and excited.  I am not sure what will happen but I do know that I have my walks if I need a break or time to think.

     Today I knew it was going to rain but I got out there anyway.  The rain started to really come down about 1/3 of the way through my walk but I found that I was not miserable.  I enjoyed the sound of it and they way it played off the trees on the wooded path.  So, take it from someone whose go to place was that deep dark hole.  Get up and on to your feet and go out.  It really does help.

No comments:

Post a Comment