Friday, April 12, 2013

No Room on the Talent Train!

One of the first things that Depression affects is the self-esteem.  Any thoughts that you had any skills or talent are out the window.  The ride seems endless as are the questions.  "Why can't I perform the simplest of tasks?" -- "What good am I?" -- "Why can't I think clearly?" 

The world is full of talented people.   Or is it?  I know everyone has a "talent" but what is a talent?  The dictionary definition is:

tal·ent (tlnt)
 
1. A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment.
2. a. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.
b. A person or group of people having such ability: The company makes good use of its talent.
 
 
 
 
Can everybody really be talented?  Maybe what I really mean is Successfully Talented.  While it seems like there are a lot of those types out there I can tell you that true talent is more allusive than you'd think.  At times I have been called talented.   Take this Blog for instance.  Many of my close friends and family have said that I should be writing more.  "I should write a book!"  I look at my writing and can't see any talent. 
 
That is what depression does to a person.  It robs you of a future that you deserve and can achieve.  Yes, right now I look at my writing or painting or even the way I do my current job and I see someone struggling to keep his head above water.  But guess what?  I am keeping my head above the waves and I know if I keep kicking and treading water I will someday be able to stand up by myself and set foot on a nice, successful sandy beach. 
 
I refuse to stop dreaming and so should you.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment