Friday, March 21, 2014

Parenthood

     There is a wonderful show on NBC called Parenthood.  It is the saga of the Braverman family and how they deal with whatever life throws at them.  I like to watch this show alone.  It is a chance for me to expel emotions that have been bottled up in me for whatever reason.
     The most resent episode deals with the struggle we have as parents to let our kids grow up and deal with their own triumphs and disappointment.  Especially the disappointments.  I know I am not the only one who sees this striking close to home.  Many of my friends and family have kids that are near the end of High School or in a secondary education program of some kind.  It is hard to let go and to not step in and help.  It is also very hard, for me at least, to not look back at our tenure as a parent and wonder ... could I have done a better job.  The answer is obvious.  Yes.  We can always do a better job.  I could have communicated more.  I could have been there more.  I could have been stronger.  Is it too late?  How can you be a parent to your adult child?  I know, at their age, many kids don't want much to do with their parents.  Most guidance we try to give is looked at interference or with condemnation.  But still, we have to try, right?
     I look at my own son and see him struggling with life moments.  When he is hurt or disappointed I want to grab him and protect him.  I want to make everything okay .... but I can't.  It's his journey to make now.  His mom and I have done what we could and yes, as I said before, mistakes were made.  But when we see our son through the eyes of others we see a good man.  A man who is kind and has a strong sense of right and wrong.  Someone who is smart, even though he doubts that at times.  Someone who will be there for his friends whenever they need him.
     These years of a young adults life are the most amazing and most scary of their lives.  There will be lots of challenges ahead, but all these firsts that they are experiencing are the ones that will be their true tests.  As parents we are proud of all they have done and will do. The best we can do is be there when they ask for help or comfort.  To let them know that we love them and always will.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment